Sunday 9 February 2014

Module 1: Reflection on Activity 4 - Behaviourism

In activity four it focused on behaviourism in children’s and how these behaviours are often influenced by what they have observed. In the readings on behaviourism I have learnt that the motivation to repeat behaviour is linked to rewards and punishments. Therefore, I implemented ‘Skinner’ theory to enhance my teaching learning process. In my classroom, I use Skinner’s behavioral theory mainly to maintain discipline among my students. I also use his positive reinforcement strategy such as giving stickers, a smile, free time, and praises etc as rewards for discipline in my classroom.      
Skinner also advocated negative reinforcement. In the negative reinforcement the response or behaviour was strengthened by stopping, removing or avoiding a negative outcome. This strategy also helped because the students were made aware of the consequences that can happen when they tease another student; laugh at someone because he or she may feel more superior than them and by bullying another peer.
Both strategies are useful in the teaching learning process because students are being rewarded for the good behavior they employ and are made aware of the consequences of negative behaviour and the damage they can execute to another peer who is not up to the class standard.
This activity has taught me that behaviourism is part of the learning process and using the right strategies help students’ learning and discipline/ behaviourism to be improved tremendously.


No comments:

Post a Comment