Sunday 9 March 2014

Module one activity 9: (What questions do I asked and why?)


I enjoyed the readings and the exercise in activity nine. It was a reinforcement exercise for me because I have been using the Bloom’s Taxonomy and applying it in writing and asking of questions for some time now. The table of specification is very beneficial to all of us because this is where we apply it to evaluate our students’ base on performances or weaknesses. In today’s classroom the types of questions we asked should cater for open and close ended and should promote students’ learning.  Hence, I use the table of specification when constructing my questions to help me:
  •   know if my students understand
  •    test memory
  •  challenge students
  • encourage sharing of ideas
  •  stimulate students’ interest
  •    promote critical thinking
  • encourage sharing of ideas

These different levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy are applicable to learning and encourage critical thinking in my teaching, learning process; thus, I refer to them quite a lot.
  • Recall  - asking learners to remember information they have previously learnt e.g. Who? What? When? Where? etc.
  •  Comprehension - asking pupils to make sense of something - especially in their own words e.g. what does the writer mean? Say it in your own words.
  •  Application - asking learners to understand something and then apply it to a new situation e.g. what is important about this? What can we learn from this? How is this related to...?
  •   Analysis - asking learners to break something down into parts, understand the nature of those parts and how they relate to each other e.g. What are the features of? Compare and contrast. What evidence can you find for...?
  • Synthesis - asking learners to build or create new ideas by incorporating many bits of information. E.g. What would you predict from...? What ideas can you add to...? What might happen if you...? What solutions can you suggest for...?

No comments:

Post a Comment