Sunday 16 March 2014

Reflection on Module one activity 10 (Promoting discussion)

In activity ten I have learnt that a discussion is more than an ordinary conversation. It is where people talk about a serious topic with the intention of improving their knowledge, understanding or judgment. In order to improve on discussion the participants must talk to others truthfully, listen to others with an open mind, and respond to what others say with respect.
The activity has helped me to see that my role in a discussion should not be the one taking over the discussion but to listen more than I speak and allowing the learners to talk and expand on their ideas. Also to encourage speakers to look at the person they are talking to and allowing them to feel confident about the points they are addressing and to keep them focus on the learning task. If they need any clarification my role is to explain things they do not know and if possible demonstrate things for them.  My role also is to guide their learning by asking questions to help enhance interactive discussion at all times.
Knowing these things that contribute to discussions help me to assess whether a genuine discussion has taken place by asking the following questions:

  • Did the learners talk to one another?
  • Did they listen to each other?
  • Have they responded to what others said?
  • Have they considered different viewpoints?
  • Have they shown development of knowledge, understanding or judgment
This activity has helped me improved on my discussion strategies and it has enhanced my teaching learning process. As the quote say, "A philosopher who is not taking part in discussions is like a boxer who never goes into the ring."

No comments:

Post a Comment