Friday 3 May 2013

Reflection on module 3 (activity 4)

Using excel to do activity 4 emanates interest. I always use it to prepare my class record but never master all of its functions properly because of lack of practice. However, while doing the activity I have learnt some new additional information which I had never used before, like the “COUNTIF” function which looks at a specified range; for example, (G5 to G15) the COUNTIF will check each cell in the range against the criterion given after the comma ">79.5%". The brackets and comma are very important. The quote marks ("") are necessary because it has specified more than just a number on its own. Example, =COUNTIF (L5:L15,">79.5 %")

The “=IF” function was not new to me because I use it constantly when preparing my class record. This function can be used to record the students’ competence or not competence, pass or fail. For example, =IF (L5>40%;"competent";"working towards competence")

This exercise has improved my knowledge and ability to use many of the features in spread sheet comfortably. I really like the outline and the steps that were given, which helped excel users and beginners in the activity. I can definitely say I am better able to prepare class records as part of my evaluation and assessment method.

No comments:

Post a Comment